Issued: July 1, 2020
The Southern Hospitality Internship Program (SHIP) contracts with Housing Partners to provide safe and affordable housing to Intern Students in Sevier County, Tennessee.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, this Housing Guidance was developed as written communication for a method of guidance.
Students Living in Shared Housing will …
- Increase hygiene practices by more frequent hand washing, avoid touching face, good respiratory etiquette when coughing or sneezing.
- Protect themselves and others by cleaning and disinfecting my room, bathroom, and all other property areas that I use. Ensure that trash containers are emptied regularly. Sinks could be an infection source; therefore, toothbrushes should not be directly placed on counter surfaces.
- Protect themselves and others by not sharing dishes, drinking glasses, cups or eating utensils. Follow consistent hand washing rules after handling used food service items and the handling/disposing of trash.
- Practice social distancing by staying at least 6 feet apart from others that you do not live with. Understand that there may be brief instances where 6 feet social distancing cannot be maintained in areas such as hallways and common area doorways.
- While on property; wear face mask/coverings in public areas when required.
- Know how their Housing Facility is going to communicate COVID-19 information.
- Be flexible, rules may change.
- Seek medical help for COVID-19 symptoms and not use any Common Areas until a diagnosis is obtained. In the interim, arrange support for meals and any other needs.
Housing Facility will…
- Provide one face mask/covering to each Student upon their arrival and check-in.
- Facility staff will wear face mask/covering while working on property, using virtual communications check-ins (phone or video chat), when possible, including electronic signatures for rental agreements and online rent payments.
- COVID-19 prevention supplies should be provided in Common Areas, such as alcohol-based hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol, tissues, and trash containers. Supplies must remain in Common Areas. Students should notify Facility Staff when they need refilled and/or replaced.
- Ensure good air flow from an air conditioner or an opened window.
- Post signage in designated traffic/living areas and specifically in Common Areas (such as kitchen, laundry, fitness, shared bathrooms, and elevators).
- Facility will ensure 2 rooms (single occupancy) designated for the potential of COVID-19 quarantine. (1 female room, 1 male room). Cleaning frequency will be modified to avoid unnecessary contact with sick person.
- If Facility Staff receives information that someone in their facility has COVID-19, they will assist the Sevier County Health Department. The confidentiality of the sick person will be maintained by Facility Staff.
- Occupancy is limited to a maximum of 2 students per room and bathroom setup.
- Single and/or double beds only with one person per bed.
- Students are required to provide their own soap, sanitizers, and cleaning items for their rooms.
- During this time of COVID-19’s limiting interactions, Facility Staff will conduct routine room inspections to ensure occupants are maintaining the cleanliness and disinfecting of their rooms and bathrooms. Students must cooperate with Facility Staff to accomplish this inspection safely.
- Visitors are not allowed in Common Areas.
- Facility staff will clean and disinfect Common Areas (such as kitchen, laundry, fitness, shared bathrooms, elevators, etc.) and frequently touched surfaces using recommended disinfectants, on a regular basis.
- Chairs and tables have been positioned at least 6 feet apart for shared meals and/or other events. Students must not move or relocate tables/chairs to another location.
- Occupancy of any group Activity/Meeting Areas will be determined and posted per Housing Management, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others.
- Occupancy of the Kitchen Area will be determined and posted per Housing Management, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others. Non-disposable food service items used should be washed with dish soap and hot water or in a dishwasher.
- Occupancy of the Laundry Area will be determined and posted per Housing Management guidelines, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others. Students and staff will support each other by cleaning and disinfecting touchpoints such as buttons, knobs, handles of laundry machines, and laundry baskets.
- Any Fitness Facility Area’s operational rules will be determined and posted per Housing Management, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others. The State of Tennessee issued Exercise Facility guidelines as of 6/4/20 for employers and consumers. Use of the Fitness Facility will require staying at least 6 foot apart. Students will use only one piece of equipment at a time. Students must disinfect and wipe down equipment before and after each use. Facility Staff will conduct regular disinfecting of high-touch surfaces.
- Any Outdoor Game Areas & Facilities’ operational rules will be determined and posted per Housing Management, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others. The State of Tennessee issued Exercise Facility guidelines as of 6/4/20 for employers and consumers. Use of Outdoor Games & Facilities will require staying at least 6 foot apart. Students will use only one piece of equipment at a time. Students must disinfect and wipe down equipment before and after each use. Facility staff will conduct regular disinfecting of high-touch surfaces.
- Visitors may be permitted in Outdoor Areas. The specific hours and operational rules will be determined and posted per Housing Management, while staying at least 6 feet apart from others. Visitors must be accompanied by the student occupant and must wear face mask/coverings.
Please be advised this COVID-19 Housing Guidance is not all inclusive. Specific rules will be determined by the Housing Management. Protocols are subject to revision and may be released on a rolling basis, as conditions warrant.
- Safety is Non-Negotiable.
- Tennessee Governor Lee: The Tennessee Pledge
- Sevier County Health Department
- CDC, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act