Lodging Operations Intern
Lodging Operations Intern
- January 19, 2021
COMPANY DESCRIPTION & AREAS OF FOCUS
Our lodging company is locally-owned and operated, with superior locations in Sevierville and Gatlinburg. We have been in business nearly 30 years and have proven ourselves as leaders in the industry through exceptional customer service, innovative ideas, and long-lasting relationships with guests, vendors, and employees. Each property has a unique design and atmosphere, and you’ll have the opportunity to experience more than one of them during your internship.
During your time with us, you will learn key components of the lodging industry from corporate and property-level leaders, even if you have no prior experience in the hotel industry. Your priority will be Guest Services, but with tidbits of education from all departments as well as an overall understanding of how a hotel management company operates. You’ll find that hotels can be very complex and interesting as well as fun, interactive, and rewarding!
Below is a comprehensive list of the main areas in a hotel, and you will have a chance to learn more about each one!
- How to Provide Exceptional Customer Service
- Human Resources – Benefits, Disciplinary Actions and Precautions, Orientation/Hiring Practices.
- Purchasing Supplies, Equipment, Food, etc. for 6 locations
- Sales & Marketing – Ads, Budgets, Promotions, Relationship Marketing, Group Sales, Contracting
- Revenue Management – Forecasting, Budgeting, Goals, Pricing, OTAs, Supply vs. Demand, etc.
- Bookkeeping – Accounts Payable, Bank Reconciliation, Budgeting, Financing, Financial Reports
- Housekeeping – Best Practices, Safety, Timeliness, Organization, etc.
- Maintenance – General knowledge of how to fix basic items in a hotel, Preventive Maintenance, Pools
- Laundry – Equipment, Organization, Cleanliness Standards, Use of Systems, Inventory
- Management –Scheduling – Payroll – Hiring – Training – Ordering – AND SO MUCH MORE!
- Hotel Food Service – Safety, Display, Cleanliness, Organizing, Customer Service, Inventory, Ordering
- Property Management System Training – How to make reservations, take payment, check availability and pricing, check in and check out, billing, guest profiles, etc.
At the completion of the internship, we believe the intern will:
- Have a better understanding of the lodging industry as a whole
- Be able to work a shift without errors or questions
- Have leadership qualities and decision-making ability
- Be able to speak intelligently about the hotel and company
- Hopefully have friends for life!
SUCCESSFUL INTERNS MUST:
*Be able to effectively communicate with guests and co-workers
*Possess basic computer skills
*Have flexibility in work schedule
*Have a desire to take care of guests