- February 2, 2024
The marketing intern that joins our team will have a chance to provide creative ideas to help achieve our
marketing department and company goals. As a marketing intern, you will collaborate with our
marketing team in all stages of marketing campaigns. Your insightful contribution will help develop,
expand and maintain our marketing channels. This internship will help you acquire marketing skills and
provide you with knowledge of various marketing strategies. Ultimately, you will gain broad experience
in marketing and help you be prepared to enter any fast-paced work environment.
FIRST FEW DAYS:
• Get to know the team.
• Tours of Wilderness at the Smokies property, and Soaky Mountain Waterpark.
• Get situated with email, and marketing drive at their personal station.
• Go over Branding Guide, Media Calendars and Project Reports for all properties with Senior
• Fill out Wilderness at the Smokies marketing internship questionnaire asking what they hope to
be able to learn while they are here.
• Sit in with Senior Marketing Manager for property yield/marketing meetings for our WI+TN
o We discuss call center volume for guests booking rooms/cabanas, room revenue,
website statistics and digital projects, eblast plans, group sales and events (WI+TN) at
our conference center (WI), media buys/plans through our ad agency, social media
plans/statistics, PR events/efforts and influencer visits, and company progress/updates.
• Meet with Social Media Coordinator to go over social projects:
o Keep a social story/reel monthly calendar for our main Facebook/Instagram channels,
and come up with content ideas to populate it.
o Keep a social calendar for our HR Facebook/Instagram channels, and come up with
content ideas to populate it.
o Design social graphics as needed.
• Attend social media meetings where we go over future posts, and brainstorming.
• Design print requests as needed for WI+TN properties.
• Work on Capstone project.
o Create their own project that applies the skills they are learning as a Wilderness at the
Smokies Marketing Intern. To be presented at the end of their internship.
• Perform marketing analysis and research on our competition.
• Assist with property photoshoots, and video shoots as they arise.
• Present Capstone project to Senior Marketing Manager.
o Go over presentation slides each month to make sure internship is helpful and
END OF INTERNSHIP:
• Intern will present their completed Capstone project on the last Marketing yield meeting they
attend in August.
o Managing Director for TN, GM, Revenue Team, Marketing Team, Group Sales Director,
and Guest Services Director in attendance.
• Fill out Wilderness Resort internship experience questionnaire.
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Suite
- Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
- Video editing for social is a plus.
- Willing to work in social platforms.
- There will be solo projects and collaboration projects. Will need them to be willing to work in both situations.
- Comfortable conversing with guests
- Willing to flex their time with working weekday vs. weekend.
- There might be some events at Soaky we would need them for.
- There might be some events off site with our mascot at the zoo, or whomever we partner with. So they might be sent to represent the properties.